It is important for your child’s class teacher and teacher assistants to be well informed about CF. Telling people within the wider school community is a personal decision.
The following are areas to consider:
Infection Prevention– Minimising germs in the school.
- Hand hygiene practices in the classroom.
- School policy on sick children.
Cross-infection– Are there other children with CF at the school?
- It is recommended to keep a distance of at least 4 metres between people with CF to reduce the risk of cross-infection.
- Schools with more than one child with CF (in different classes) can implement strategies to decrease the risk of cross-infection.
- High calorie, high salt diet at school (if needed).
- Extra snacks may be required.
- Managing enzymes at school.
- Salt requirements at school.
- Dehydration prevention and management.
- Clinic appointments, hospital admissions.
For more information, go to our School and Community page.