Counselling & Support

Having CF, or caring for someone with CF, can bring up a whole range of different emotions and feelings. It’s normal to experience anxiety, and in some cases depression, when you or your child are unwell or undergoing procedures. If these feelings persist, and you would like someone to talk to, we offer general support for families, children and adults with CF.

Psychosocial Support

We have a dedicated psychosocial team that supports the community.

Vic our psychosocial team lead, Mel our occupational therapist and Felicity our social worker, are available to support individuals, along with the whole family.  They understand the impact of CF, and strive to ensure that everyone feels connected and supported; and take a whole family approach to their support services.

Support from the psychosocial team includes:

  • Well-being and counselling support
  • Assistance with accessing financial support
  • Social connection and community building
  • Parenting and family support
  • Support with routines and emotional regulation
  • Goal setting and practical advice
  • Anxiety management including separation anxiety
  • EMDR therapy
  • Employment and education support

All support services can be provided in home, in school, in community, in the CFWA office, online or by phone.

We’re a small team with a huge reach, with plans to grow to be responsive to the psychosocial needs of our fantastic community. Please never be afraid to reach out – if we can’t help you, we will support you to find the help you need.

The best way to make initial contact with us is services@cfwa.org.au

Mental Health Financial Support

Mental Health Treatment Plans can be accessed through your GP, which now entitles you to 10 Medicare subsidised sessions with a mental health professional each calendar year. CFWA can provide financial support towards your out of pocket expenses. Please see the Financial Support page for more information.

Adult Hospital Support

Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and Fiona Stanley Hospital have social workers that may be able to assist with general counselling, health coaching and support. Both hospitals also now have a clinical psychologist to enable adults with CF to access psychological support through their CF team. Speak with your team for access to these services.

Paediatric Hospital Support

For children and their carers, Perth Children’s Hospital provide psychological and social work support. They also have a program, KKind (Keeping Kids in No Distress) which provides support for children to minimise traumatic stress in hospital. Speak with your team for access to these services or visit the Child and Adolescent Health Service for more information.

External Support & Help

Mental Health

Some agencies provide free information, advice and counselling, however, if you wanted to seek specific counselling you could go to your GP for a mental health plan.

  • Beyond Blue – Beyond Blue promotes good mental health, tackles stigma and discrimination and provides support and information on anxiety, depression and suicide.
  • Youth Beyond Blue – Dedicated site for youth. Information, resources and support for young people dealing with depression and/or anxiety.
  • Black Dog Institute – The Black Dog Institute is dedicated to improving the lives of people affected by mood disorders through high quality translational research, clinical expertise and education programs.
  • Dr Yes – A medical program run by the Australian Medical Association, with resources to find youth Friendly doctors in metro and country areas.
  • Headspace – Headspace helps young people who are going through a tough time. If you are aged 12-25 you can get health advice, support and other information from more than 70 centres around Australia. headspace can help with general health, mental health and counselling, education, employment and alcohol and other drug services.
  • E-Headspace – E-headspace is a confidential, free and secure space where young people 12 – 25 or their family can chat, email or speak on the phone with a qualified youth mental health professional.
  • Kids Help Line – A national 24hour phone counselling service for children. Their site includes counselling statistics by sex and subject, and information sheets on topics such as suicide, bullying, domestic violence, homelessness, mental health and relationships.
  • Lifeline – A national charity providing all Australians with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.
  • ReachOut – An anonymous way to get help and access to information and support services 24/7, explore issues, and discover how other people have got through tough times.

Palliative Care

Links in an Emergency

Dial 000 for an ambulance for immediate assistance in the event of an attempted suicide.

If a person is highly distressed and feeling unsafe or thinks they are a risk to themselves, head to a public emergency department where there are doctors, nurses and social workers available 24 hours a day.

In Perth, the emergency departments are located:

  • Perth Children’s Hospital (16 years or younger): Hospital Avenue, Nedlands (08) 6456 2222
  • Royal Perth Hospital: Wellington Street, Perth (08) 9224 2244
  • Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital: Hospital Avenue, Nedlands (08) 6457 3333
  • Fiona Stanley Hospital: 102-118 Murdoch Drive, Murdoch (08) 6152 2222
  • Joondalup Hospital: Shenton Avenue, Joondalup (08) 9400 9400
  • Armadale Health Service: 3056 Albany Highway, Armadale (08) 9391 2000
  • Rockingham/Kwinana District Hospital: Elanora Drive, Cooloongup (08) 9599 4000
  • John of God Midland Public Hospital: 1 Clayton Street, Midland (08) 9462 4000

If a person is highly distressed and feeling unsafe or thinks they are a risk to themselves but refuses to go to a public emergency department, you can call:

  • Mental Health Emergency Response (MHERL) Line – Free call 1300 555 788 (metro) or 1800 676 822 (regional). This service consists of professionals who can come to a person’s home for emergency assessment. Calls during normal business hours will be referred to the local Mental Health Service.
  • Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467. The Suicide Call Back Service is a 24-hour, nationwide service that provides telephone and online counselling to people 15 years and over who are suicidal, caring for someone who is suicidal, bereaved by suicide, and health professionals supporting people affected by suicide.
  • Rurallink – In regional areas please contact Rurallink on 1800 552 002. Rurallink operates from 4.30 pm to 8.30 am Monday to Friday, and 24 hours on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. During business hours, the emergency number is patched through to a local service.

Legal Assistance

  • Legal Aid – Legal Aid WA can offer legal advice on a range of issues specific to youth and may also be able to offer assistance with representation on criminal matters. Initial contact can be made by calling their information line on 1300 650 579.
  • Youth Legal Services – A community legal centre providing services to young people under the age 25.
  • Law Stuff – The National Children’s and Youth Law Centre – select Western Australia for the right legal information.

For more information, support or counselling, contact our Services Manager via email servicesmanager@cfwa.org.au or phone 08 6224 4100.

2024 © Cystic Fibrosis Western Australia Privacy Policy | Refund & Delivery Policy | ABN: 19 156 339 182