Subsidies & Equipment

Cystic Fibrosis WA Subsidies

Cystic Fibrosis WA (CFWA) currently provide the following annual subsidies

CFWA Activity and Exercise Subsidies

Children’s Activity Subsidy

This subsidy is designed to encourage your child to participate in sporting activities in the community, examples include: dancing lessons, swimming lessons or footy club registration. It is an annual $200 subsidy.

Prior to applying for the CFWA Activity Subsidy please check your child’s eligibility with Kidsport. If you are eligible, CFWA can contribute an additional $50.

To claim the CFWA Children’s Activity Subsidy click here.

Adult Personal Training, Gym and Activity Subsidy

We have a personal training, gym and activity subsidy, available to help encourage and increase physical activity.

Physical activity subsidies are available for adults with CF across the whole of WA with a gym or personal trainer of your choice. Subsidies are immediately available up to $40 per week or $160 per month, initially for a period of 12 weeks. We recommend you purchase either a 3-month membership or multi entry pass up to $480

Prior to commencing new activities, we highly recommend:
• Reading the three CF Fit booklets at
• Seek advice and an exercise plan from CF hospital physio
• Locate fully qualified gym or qualified class instructor/personal trainer who understands CF or is open to learning about CF. CFWA are also available to provide education.

To be eligible for the subsidy, you must:
• Ensure the enterprise you choose is a registered business or sole proprietor with a legitimate ABN. You can check the ABN by visiting ABN Lookup here.
• Provide a tax receipt (showing ABN and full payment details), receipt to be uploaded onto our online subsidy request form here.
• Complete a pre and post questionnaire about your fitness levels and exercise habits. This program will be continuously reviewed, and availability will be dependent on funding. Please contact Kathryn to discuss funding availability prior to applying.

For further information contact or 08 6457 7333. To apply for the subsidy please click here.

CFWA Mental Health Subsidies

If you’re struggling with mental health, CFWA are able to offer a mental health subsidy that will pay “Gap Funding” to see a community-based psychologist, social worker or counsellor. This gap funding is available in addition to a Mental Health Care Plan and Medicare Rebate, accessed through a referral from your GP.

Mental Health Subsidy Eligibility
• Must have CF
• 16 years and over
• Capped at $50 per application or session
• Reimbursement dependent upon presentation of receipt

To access the new subsidy click here.

For further information about the Mental Health Care Plan and the Medicare Rebate see our Mental Health Care Plan factsheet.

CFWA Travel Subsidies

Children’s Regional Travel Subsidy

Families of children attending Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH) clinic appointments or hospital admissions can receive between $25-$150. This subsidy is proudly sponsored by Telethon. Click here to access this subsidy.

Sibling and Offspring Camp Subsidy

Travel reimbursement to assist regional children in attending the annual sibling camp. This subsidy is proudly sponsored by Telethon. Click here to access this subsidy.

Adult Regional Travel Subsidy

Funded through CFWA fundraising, our Adult Regional Travel Subsidy provides financial support to adults living in regional WA who are attending clinic appointments or medical admissions at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (SCGH) or Fiona Stanley Hospital (FSH) . The subsidy can provide between $25-$100.

To apply for the Adult Regional Travel Subsidy please click here.

*Please note that due to funding all our subsidies may be subject to change.

Other Subsidies

Funeral Subsidy

A funeral subsidy of $500 is available to families in need. For more information and to access this subsidy please click here.

For further information about our subsidies contact our Social Worker via email ( or phone 08 6457 7333.

Cystic Fibrosis WA Equipment

CFWA has a small range of equipment available for members at no charge. Available equipment varies at any given time, as it is dependent on grant funding. Equipment is issued in consultation with Perth Children’s Hospital (PCH), Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital (SCGH) and Fiona Stanley Hospital (FSH) where appropriate. Thanks to generous support from Aurizon, PEACH, Rotary, Lions, community fundraising and Telethon we currently have the following equipment available:

InnoSpire Go Vibrating Mesh Nebuliser: portable battery-operated vibrating mesh nebuliser funded by Telethon and community fundraising for children with CF.

Personal Training Equipment: a variety of personal training equipment is available thanks to PEACH to support CFWA’s PT program.

Trampolines: Thanks to Aurizon we have a number of trampolines to gift to children between the ages of 2 and 10 years who have not received a trampoline from us in the past.

Oxygen Concentrator: CFWA have one oxygen concentrator available for loan on referral from senior physiotherapist at SCGH, donated by Rotary and Lions.

If you would like more information or to thank our generous supporters please contact our Physiotherapist via email ( or phone 08 6457 7333.

Centrelink Benefits

Centrelink provide a broad range of allowances which you may be eligible to access:


  • Carer Allowance: When a child is born with CF the parent/s automatically become eligible for the carers allowance, if you are an Australian resident. This also entitles you to a health care card. When your child turns 16 you will still be eligible if they are continuing studying or doing an apprenticeship. You may also be eligible for this allowance if you are caring for an adult with CF.
  • Carers Payment: An income tested benefit, the recipient must reach a qualifying score to determine eligibility.
  • Carer Adjustment Payment: If there are exceptional circumstances and extreme hardship you may be eligible for the Carer Adjustment Payment which allows a one-off payment of up to $10,000. Families with a child who has CF will not automatically qualify, there must be other difficult adjustment issues.


  • Disability Support Pension (DSP): You need to be over 16 years and over, and not able to work more than 15 hours per week. To assess your eligibility for DSP, a report from your treating doctor or specialist on your disability, injury or illness is required.
  • Sickness Allowance: Assists if you are employed, including self-employment, and you are temporarily unable to work because of a medical condition.
  • Essential Medical Equipment Payment: An annual payment which assists with extra costs associated with essential medical equipment such as home ventilators, oxygen concentrator and nebulisers.
  • Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme Safety Net (PBS): The PBS Safety Net provides discounted prescriptions once you have reached the threshold.

Employment and Study

  • Mobility Allowance: Assists people with a chronic health condition who are working and cannot use public transport without substantial assistance or concerns about infection control. It’s not income or asset
  • Newstart Allowance (21 years over): If you are unemployed, Newstart Allowance provides financial support while you are looking for work.
  • Youth Allowance (16 years plus)- can assist if you are a young person who is studying, undertaking training or an Australian Apprenticeship, looking for work, or if you are sick.
  • Special Benefit- helps if you are in severe financial need due to circumstances outside your control and you cannot receive any other Centrelink pension or benefit.
  • Austudy- provides financial help if you are aged 25 years or more and are studying or undertaking an Australian Apprenticeship full-time.

All information on Centrelink allowances, benefits and concession cards can be found on their website.

Concession Cards

  • Centrelink: Centrelink has two main types of concession cards, Health Care Card and the Pensioner Concession Card. Concessions may include a reduction on many bills, including medical bills and pharmaceuticals.
  • Companion Card: Issued by National Disability Services to people with a significant permanent disability who require a care support person or a companion.
  • Student Edge Card: Provides discounts for retail and online products. They also have lots of information on budgeting, managing finances and getting a job.


  • Transperth Concession Smart Rider: A concession card which can be obtained by anyone who holds a valid concession entitlement. Concession cardholders are also entitled to free travel during certain times.
  • ACROD Parking Program: To be eligible you must have a severe mobility impairment where walking more than 50m causes your physical condition to deteriorate and close proximity parking is required.
  • Taxi Users’ Subsidy Scheme (TUSS): TUSS provides taxi travel at a reduced rate for people who have a severe permanent disability that will always prevent them using a conventional public transport bus service.

Independent Living

  • Centrelink Rent Assistance: Available to people who receive Centrelink benefits, including those who receive more than the base rate of family tax benefit (Part A), and pay private rent above minimum thresholds.
  • Affordable Housing Options: Options to help Western Australians into affordable housing.

Continence Financial Support

Most people with incontinence use continence products such as pads, catheters or bedding protection to manage their condition. Some people require these products on a long-term basis, which can become very expensive. For more information visit the Continence Foundation of Australia website or contact a continence nurse advisor at the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66.

Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS)

HUGS are run by WA’s Department for Child Protection. HUGS are a State Government scheme which provides financial assistance to help people with financial difficulties pay their water, gas and electricity bills so their supply is not cut off. For more information visit the HUGS website.

Dental care

If you are in possession of a current Health Care Card, you are eligible for emergency and general dental care at the basic rate of subsidy. For more information visit the Dental Health Services website or call 08 9313 0555.

Community Aid Agencies

There are a number of aid agencies available to assist with food, emergency accommodation, clothing, counselling and family support.

Emergency Accommodation and Crisis Support

Emergency Contacts

If you are aware of any other financial subsidies, please let us know by contacting our Services Manager via email ( or on 08 6457 7333 so that we can advise our membership and support others.


2019 © Cystic Fibrosis Western Australia Privacy Policy | Refund & Delivery Policy | ABN: 19 156 339 182