Health Care Card for Young People with CF 16+

Parents of a child with CF are eligible for a health care card (HCC), which entitles you to cheaper prescription medications through the PBS. When your child turns 16 years, this coverage will cease. Centrelink will contact parents via MyGov when their child is 15 years and 9 months to flag the upcoming change. It is important to be aware of this and to ensure you check your MyGov account for notifications.

After the age of 16, there are other options to continue your child’s access to a HCC, including the Ex-Carer Allowance, Mobility Allowance, Youth Allowance or the Low-income Health Care Card. Access to these are all dependent on the individuals’ circumstances.

Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card– available to those 16-25 years of age, a full-time student and had a Carer Allowance HCC on the day before you turned 16. This can be renewed over the phone, and should enable access to this card until age 25, unless circumstances change re: study/work. In this case, the other HCC listed below may be more suited.

Click here for more information on Ex-Carer Allowance.

Mobility Allowance- This is for those aged 16 years or older with a chronic health condition who cannot use public transport without substantial assistance or concerns about infection control. There does not need to be public transport in your area to qualify. You must be doing a qualifying activity i.e., to qualify for a standard rate you must be working for at least 32 hours over a 4-week period of voluntary work, paid work, self-employment, or training.

Click here for more information on Mobility Allowance.

Youth Allowance– Youth Allowance is means tested and is for students aged 18 – 24 years and studying full time, or 16 – 17 studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent.

Click here for more information on the Youth Allowance.

Low Income Health Care Card-This HCC is means tested and needs to be applied for each year in order to renew the card and meet the income test. The card can be renewed online using MyGov.

Click here for more information on the Low Income HCC.


If you need more information or support in applying for a HCC, contact our psychosocial team on services@cfwa.org.au or 08 6224 4100.

2023 © Cystic Fibrosis Western Australia Privacy Policy | Refund & Delivery Policy | ABN: 19 156 339 182