COVID-19 Member Support
As life slowly returns to normal, we at CFWA are excited to get back into the swing of things.
CFWA remains open and we are gearing up to be back at full operational capacity as restrictions are further eased. Here is some information about changes to our services, and how we have adjusted our programs to meet member needs during this time:
Visiting the Office
If you do need to collect something from us or visit the office, please ring ahead on 08 6457 7333 to make an appointment.
There is always someone in the office to assist you during our opening hours, and CFWA staff have slowly begun returning to work from the office, rather than working from home.
Homecare Worker (HCW) Service
Our HCW service is still available to anyone who would like visits, even if you haven’t used this service in the past. Our HCWs have always followed very strict infection prevention and control guidelines and this has increased even more to protect you and your family. HCWs now wear full personal protective equipment including mask, gown, gloves and eye protection to all home visits. There is also the option of virtual or remote HCW sessions for either adults or children, if your child is old enough. This is a good option for both our metro and regional members.
If you have any questions about how the HCW service might be able to help you, please email Sam on email@example.com or call us on 08 6457 7333 to discuss.
Counselling and General Support
Mental Health Support
Please contact Kathryn for counselling or general support via email firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0419 926 277. Support is available over the phone or via video call. Our Youth Social Worker Haylee is also available to support young people. Contact her on email@example.com.
If you require further support, you can access a clinical psychologist via Telehealth, which the government announced will be bulk billed with your existing or new mental health care plan from your GP.
For further information on Mental Health Care Plans and Rebates, click here.
Until restrictions are further lifted, we are currently unable to provide hospital visits or hospital care packs. Please contact us on 08 6457 7333 if you require further support.
CFWA Activity Subsidy (16+ years)
Activity subsidies for gym or personal training are available up to $300 per quarter. Click here for more information and to access the online form.
CFWA Children Activity Subsidy
School and Community Education
We are still offering education sessions for teachers, sports coaches, friends, family, and anyone else you can think of via Zoom video conferencing. Other than these sessions being conducted via video, they will run exactly the same! Our sessions can be tailored to suit any need but small overview of some of the information that would be covered during an education session is:
- What is CF
- Symptoms of CF
- Supporting students with CF
- Considerations specific to your child
We understand that many schools and community groups are reducing the number of meetings they host and may not be able to hold an education session. In this case, head over to CFSmart for free CF e-learning modules and heaps of resources.
As we are unable to attend schools for classroom education sessions, we have developed three exciting new videos and lesson plans for teachers to host their own incursions. If your child’s class is ready to learn about germs and handwashing, please get in touch with Maggie at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Health Professional Education
As with school education, we are currently unable to provide onsite education to health professionals, however this is definitely still available via Zoom video conferencing.
We have also just released a brand-new Cystic Fibrosis for Health Professionals website which we are currently distributing to health professionals. Click here to view the website. Please contact Sharon at email@example.com for more information.
Member events have been postponed for the time being, however we will be facilitating a number of interactive webinars for parents and adults with CF. We will continue to update our Facebook pages with new information.
We are optimistic that with regional borders slowly opening, we will be able to reschedule our planned outreach trips for later in the year. We can currently support regional families and adults with Zoom physio sessions, Zoom school education and educational/social webinars. For more information about regional support, contact Kathryn on firstname.lastname@example.org or 08 6457 7333.
65 Roses Day
It’s May, the national month of awareness for CF, also known as 65 Roses Month! This year things have gone digital, with a brand new virtual 65 Roses Garden.
Visit the 65 Roses Garden to send a rose to someone and see it planted in the virtual garden. We need your help to keep the 65 Roses Spirit shining bright by buying a digital rose this May or signing up to be a virtual rose selling volunteer. Register your interest as a volunteer by emailing email@example.com.
Find out more about 65 Roses Day here.
65 Roses Challenge
We’ve got lots of supporters in the community taking on 65 Roses Challenges this May and June to raise funds and awareness for people living with cystic fibrosis in WA. Visit our news page to see their challenges, like cycling 65km in May, or visit our Fundraising page for more ideas and resources to get started on your own challenge. If you have questions, please email our team on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 08 6457 7333.
We’re also rolling out a virtual boot camp event through July and August this year. Take part in 8 weeks of fitness challenges which you can do in the comfort of your own home or backyard and raise funds online to support the CF community.
More details to come soon! To stay in the loop and have a chance to give feedback, please join the new “CFWA Fundraising Community” Facebook group and sign up to our e-newsletter by emailing email@example.com.
Useful Resources and Links
- Coronavirus Australia App: Real time advice and information about COVID-19 through a free Government app. To download on your phone or tablet, search ‘Coronavirus Australia’ in the Apple App Store or on Google Play
- The Australian Government has also created a WhatsApp group to disseminate information. This new service would allow the Government to directly provide Australians with health advice, updates on lockdown measures and other accurate and timely information. To activate the WhatsApp channel on your phone, visit aus.gov.au/whatsapp to download WhatsApp to your phone (if you don’t already have the app) and launch the new feature.
- COVID-19 National Health Plan (Health Department)
CF and COVID-19
- Latest CF-Related COVID-19 Updates (CFWA)
- What You Need to Know About Coronavirus If You Have CF (PCH & SCGH Factsheet)
- Letter to the CF Community From the CF Centre Directors (CFA and Thoracic Society of Australia & NZ)
- Maintaining Good Nutrition for individuals with CF During COVID-19 (Sydney Children’s Hospital)
- Ways to Take Care of Yourself During the Coronavirus Outbreak (CFWA Factsheet)
- Infection Prevention and Control in the Community (CFWA Factsheet)
- What is Coronavirus short film (PCH)
- What is Corona Virus: A Kids Guide (Government of WA, Child and Adolescent Health Service)
- My Name is Coronavirus (Mind Heart Kids)
- Time to Come in Bear: A short video for little ones to help explain social distancing in an age appropriate way.
- Hello Friends: A COVID-19 Special (Play School)
- Hand Washing and Germs short films (CFWA)